Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Author Q & A with writer Joann H. Buchanan

1. When did you start writing and why?


I started when I was a kid. My parents would ground me and I was only able to read or write. I literally can thank my parents for starting me on the path. I have always loved to read. When I discovered I could put whoever I wanted into stories and go where I wanted, I was hooked. I can’t remember a time when I didn’t write. It has changed my life and saved me a time or two.

2. Can you tell us a little about your book?

It’s a coming of age story about Jonah, who is about to find out he has the ability to become a wolf. He meets up with some old friends and soon learns they know more than they were telling him. When he meets Alaynee, he falls in love and is ready for life to be normal again. That is until Ralph, a poacher in the woods, decides he is going to kidnap Alaynee’s younger brother. While rescuing Squeaks, Alaynee’s baby brother, Jonah breaks the cardinal rule the clan has…never bite a human.

This is where all hell breaks lose. Ralph is then turned unto an Unnatural and is connected to Jonah. Now Jonah must track down the Unnatural and destroy it.


3. Care to share a brief excerpt or line from your book?

We all have those, the points where the line between reality and dreams blur. They still our hearts and make us all feel the warmth from within. They spark the angel within all of us and make us not only want, but need, to be better than we ever thought possible.

The girl Jonah had seen in the distance at the station was real. She had stolen his heart, and he didn’t even know her name.

With his shower finished, Jonah dried, dressed and raced down the stairs. There was a strong possibility she would be in town. Maybe I can find out who she is.

Bobby Joe and Jonah climbed into the newer looking red dodge truck.

“I forgot to ask your mom, but do you have a license?” Bobby Joe asked.

“I do, why?”

“You will need to get it changed over to Sisters before you can drive one of my trucks,” Bobby Joe replied. “I think I want to see how much practice you need.”

Bobby Joe handed Jonah the keys to the truck and got out. Jonah sat stunned for a second, then with eager delight jumped out and raced around to the other side. He climbed into the driver’s side, put the key in the ignition, and adjusted the mirror and seat. Bobby Joe cleared his throat and Jonah sheepishly put his seatbelt on. His heart raced at the thought of driving a car. From the time he’d gotten his license, Jonah had wanted a car–any car–to drive without the hassle of adult supervision. The prospect of attaining that sense of freedom was too much to pass up.

Jonah put the truck in reverse and turned it around, then headed out onto the two-lane highway into town. The grandeur of the mountains didn’t compare to the pride Jonah felt from being behind the wheel of his grandfather’s truck. He drove with ease through the winding roads. Normal, was the word that came to his mind when he maneuvered the truck like he had done it for years. The lack of traffic helped ease any anxiety he had about the fact that he was driving Bobby Joe’s truck. The undisclosed desires of all are often those we seek without realizing it. Jonah hadn’t realized until this very moment how much he wanted the freedom of having his own car.

They passed around the bend leading towards Broken Top Mountain and everything in Jonah’s mind faded. With what little control he had left, Jonah pulled the truck over. Rhythmic drums followed by a soft pitched single male voice echoed all around him. When Jonah peered off into the distance, he witnessed the heavens opening up just above Broken Top Mountain. The spirit of a shaman danced the warriors dance around the mountain top. Spiritual winds carrying the shapes of wolves rushed passed the old shaman in the sky. A dark ominous smoke rose up from the mountains then slammed down into them, causing a sound loud enough to wake the seven sleeping spirits from heaven. Jonah reached up and cupped his ears from the sound. A light touch crossed his hand.

“Jonah, can you hear me?” the voice asked.

The images disappeared with a clap of thunder and a single word, ‘TIBOLT’. Jonah looked over at his grandfather, who had a proud look on his face. “You are going to be fine,” Bobby Joe said.

“I feel like I’m losing my mind,” Jonah said, fighting back tears.


4. How many books have you written/published? Are currently working on any new ones now?


Written, 4. Published 2 . There are some stories that will never see the light of day. I’m currently working on book 2 of The Children of Nox series. I’m also working on two stand alone novels, one is called Dragon’s Eye and the other is Chaos and the Beltane.



5. Why did you pick the genre that you currently write in, and have you/are you ever going to try another genre?



I don’t think we pick the genre we write in. I think in some ways it chooses us. We are nothing more than conduits, receiving the story and translating worlds that already exist.


6. Who is your favorite writer, and why?

WOW that is a loaded question…I have to start with Stephen King and David B. Coe then Frank Herbert.

Each one great story tellers in their own right and hopefully one day they will read something I have written. Although Frank Herbert would be a little harder to hear from…lol.


7. Do you have a favorite book? If so, what is it?

There are too many.


8. Tell us a little about your creative process…


I write the bones first. Then I start with a blank page again and do the rewrite. At this point I know that it is clear what is going to happen in the story. Also I can play with the style more and have more fun with the words. I don’t use an outline. I can’t stand losing the surprise when I read or write.


9. Where can readers find you or your books online?

My twitter @JoannHBuchanan

My FB is http://www.facebook.com/JoannHBuchanan

GoodReads http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5157083.Joann_Buchanan



I Am Wolf Book 1 Children of Nox you can order it at any book store. Also it’s located on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Am-Wolf-Children-Nox-ebook/dp/B0070PBFLQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1328835048&sr=1-1


Soulless Light

http://www.amazon.com/Soulless-Light-ebook/dp/B005MEKQR6/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1328835095&sr=1-1


10. What’s the best and worst experiences you’ve had as a writer?

The best experience was getting my first contract for Soulless Light. That was the first publication I received and it was a novella so I wasn’t expecting it at all.

The worst part is the waiting. You are constantly in a waiting game in this field. You are waiting to receive notice from agents, publishers and editors. You never know what to think and if people are going to take you on. All of it is a risk in this business. You never know what people are going to like. It takes a lot of time and in that time, just keep writing. That is the best way to take care of the waiting game.


11. What’s your ultimate goal as a writer?

I would love to see inspiration come from what I write. I would like people to really enjoy my work. That’s really what it’s all about. Ultimately I would love to see I Am Wolf turned into a movie. I mean what writer doesn’t want that…lol. Seriously though, I just want my readers to love what they read.

No comments:

Post a Comment